Purple sweet potatoes are one of my favorite parts of fall. This Vegan Spiced Sweet Purple Potato Baked Oatmeal makes the most of them. It’s a perfect Halloween kids activity too! Make individual baking dishes of the oats, set up a decorating station and let everyone make their own monster face.
My ebook, The Ghoulish Gourmet, is the just what you want to plan your Halloween party. The pdf version costs $8.95 and you can click the buy now button to purchase (the button is below the cover photo). Or you can get the Kindle version at Amazon for $9.95.
I love purple sweet potatoes. First off, they’re sweet potatoes and I’m not sure anyone needs a reason beyond that. However, they turn things purple on top of tasting amazing and being good for you.
These beauties are great as a side dish just mashed with unsweetened nondairy milk. For this recipe I’m mixing the puree in with my favorite baked oatmeal ingredients.
Since we’re just a few days away from Halloween I’ve shown you a few ways to spook these up too!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup raw sugar, vegan sugar, coconut sugar (or other dry sweetener, to taste)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- large pinch ground cloves
- 1½ cups purple sweet potato puree
- 1½ cups nondairy milk
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- Preheat you oven to 350 degrees. Oil 4 to 5 (1-cup) individual casserole baking dishes or line with parchment paper to make this oil-free.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Next, add the wet ingredients to a small mixing bowl and combine well. Finally, add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the individual casserole baking dishes. Bake uncovered for 25 to 35 minutes.
- You can decorate these before you bake them. I use marshmallows, chocolate chips, coconut, almonds, pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and more!