I love potatoes and most vegans count on them for comfort food meals just like everyone else. Plus they are nutritious and delicious. I have a modernized old-fashioned favorite side dish, Au Gratin Potatoes.
It’s a twist to cook them in your 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker. That’s just the beginning of my changes. The sauce is vegan, of course, and is made with vegetables!
It’s similar to my Creamy Vegetable-based Vegan Cheese Sauce. I didn’t have any turnips on hand so I left those out. You could change cooked turnip out for up to 1/3 of the cauliflower. I didn’t use cashews in this version so it could have less calories and be nut-free for company.
You cook up the cauliflower and carrots then toss them in a blender with some nondairy milk and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth and you’re ready to slice your potatoes.
You can keep this completely oil-free and place a piece of parchment paper in your slow cooker or you can hit it with a little spray oil to make clean up easier. It’s all up to you!
Vegan Slow Cooker Potato Au Gratin with No Added Oil
This cheezy sauce is ridiculously easy to make. Even better no one in your family will realize just how healthy these vegan au gratin potatoes really are. They are gluten-free, soy-free and have no oil added! (You can oil your slow cooker to make clean up easier or press a large piece of parchment paper in and layer your potatoes on top of that.)
- 2 packed cups cooked cauliflower florets
- 1 cup cooked carrot coins
- 1 cup unsweetened plain nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium potatoes
- Blend everything except for the potatoes in your blender and blend until smooth. You will need to stop and scrape the sides down a few times to make sure there are no lumps.
- Pour just enough sauce to cover the bottom of your 3½ to 4 quart slow cooker. Layer with about ⅓ of the potatoes, and cover with sauce. Repeat until the potatoes are all used and end with sauce poured over the top.
- Cook on low 7 to 9 hours.