I love potatoes and most vegans count on them for comfort food meals just like everyone else. Plus they are nutritious and delicious. I have a modernized old-fashioned favorite side dish, Au Gratin Potatoes.
It’s a twist to cook them in your 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker. That’s just the beginning of my changes. The sauce is vegan, of course, and is made with vegetables!
It’s similar to my Creamy Vegetable-based Vegan Cheese Sauce. I didn’t have any turnips on hand so I left those out. You could change cooked turnip out for up to 1/3 of the cauliflower. I didn’t use cashews in this version so it could have less calories and be nut-free for company.
You cook up the cauliflower and carrots then toss them in a blender with some nondairy milk and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth and you’re ready to slice your potatoes.
You can keep this completely oil-free and place a piece of parchment paper in your slow cooker or you can hit it with a little spray oil to make clean up easier. It’s all up to you!
- 2 packed cups cooked cauliflower florets
- 1 cup cooked carrot coins
- 1 cup unsweetened plain nondairy milk
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium potatoes
- Blend everything except for the potatoes in your blender and blend until smooth. You will need to stop and scrape the sides down a few times to make sure there are no lumps.
- Pour just enough sauce to cover the bottom of your 3½ to 4 quart slow cooker. Layer with about ⅓ of the potatoes, and cover with sauce. Repeat until the potatoes are all used and end with sauce poured over the top.
- Cook on low 7 to 9 hours.