I have been an oatmeal making machine lately. In fact, it’s been a while since I’ve cooked dinner in the slow cooker. So in honor of me actually cooking dinner again, I give you a second post today. I hope you enjoy the recipe.
Feel free to leave out the olive oil to make this a fat-free dish. You can also change out different beans, seitan, or your favorite soy foods – depending on what you have on hand.
Last week I was craving a stew and had some homemade chik’n seitan, leftover Gimme Lean and lots of field peas in the freezer. This is what came out of that.
I’m calling it a Cassoulet because it reminds me of one (minus the animal products of course). It’s super hearty and stands on its own, but you could serve some crusty bread and a salad to complete the meal.
If you aren’t sure what field peas are, take a look at this Grist article. It has more recipes for them there as well. You can substitute black-eyed peas or any other bean you happen to have in your pantry. After all it’s your creation!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- ½ tube Lightlife Gimme Lean sausage
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 small carrots, chopped
- 2 cups pre-cooked field peas or black-eyed peas**
- (feel free to just use 1½ cups if you are using canned)
- 1½ cups diced tomatoes (or a 14.5 ounce can - do not drain)
- 1½ cups chicken seitan (or about 2 packages Lightlife Smart Strips), chopped
- 1 to 2 cups water plus 1 tablespoon vegan chick'n bouillon
- (or same amount broth, it can be from the seitan if you are using homemade)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Herbs de Provence
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke or smoked paprika (or ½ teaspoon smoked salt and no additional salt)
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil over medium heat then add the onion and sauté until translucent. (You can use a non-stick pan and leave out the oil if you are reducing fat and/or calories in your diet.) Add the Gimme Lean to the onion mixture in the pan.
- Cook until you can crumble the sausage easily with your spatula and it is browned and cooked thoroughly.
- Chop the celery and carrots.
- Store everything together in the fridge overnight.
- Add everything to the slow cooker to an oiled slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
I keep hearing the differing opinions in the tomatoes make beans cook slower debate and right now I’m in the camp of don’t cook them together!