Posted by Kathy Hesterhttp://healthyslowcooking.com/vegan-peppermint-chocolate-chip-holiday-shake/
© 2017 . All rights reserved.
Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Chip Holiday Shake
This shake is made with no ice cream (vegan or not)! All you need is ice, nondairy milk and a little pectin or xanthan gum to hold it all together.
cup nondairy milk (I like to use vanilla)
tablespoon vegan mini chocolate chips or grated chocolate
to 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, to taste
sweetener, to taste if needed
teaspoon xanthan gum or 1 teaspoon pectin (do not leave out – it holds it together!)
cups crushed ice
crushed candy canes, for garnish
- Add the milk and chocolate to your blender. Blend until the chocolate is in small pieces. It will be blended again, so it's okay if it's still a bit larger than you want.
- Note: If you have a less powerful blender you can chop the chocolate chips first. Mine made short work of them.
- Add ⅛ teaspoon of the peppermint extract and blend again. Taste and decide if you want to use the other ⅛ teaspoon peppermint extract.
- Now is also the time to test the sweetness. I used unsweetened vanilla soy milk and added about 1½ tablespoons agave to mine. You can make this with unsweetened grated chocolate and use stevia or coconut nectar of that fits better into your style of eating.
- Now that the mix is exactly the way you want it, blend in the xanthan gum or pectin. This is what will hold the liquid together with the ice.
- If you have a high speed blender add all the ice, but for a less powerful one add 1 cup at a time. Blend until the mixture is smooth, with the exception of the tiny chocolate bits.
- Serve with a straw and garnish with candy cane bits. (It's very therapeutic to make them. Unwrap the candy, stick in a zip lock bag, cover with a towel and hammer them into tiny pieces.)