It’s getting close to my favorite holiday, Halloween. This weekend we started decorating the house for our annual Gothic dinner party. We have over 8 big plastic bins chock full of goodies, so it takes days to get everything in place. So far we are about 1/2 way there.
Of course, once the house is decorated then I’ll do the tablescape (I’ve always wanted to use that word in a sentence)! There are 2 boxes full just for the table. I’ll post pictures next week of the table and our decorations.
I haven’t decided what I’m making for the main course yet, so if anyone has some spooky vegan gluten-free ideas let me know. (Yes, Cara, that is directed at you – possibly as a challenge!)
So, why all this talk of Halloween on a chili post? Well, it is near Halloween… But the real reason is we ate the chili – all of it – before I remembered to take a picture of it. I promise not do it again, but this recipe was too good to not post it because it’s picture-less.
This is a great recipe to get in your slow cooker tonight for tomorrow’s dinner. You could use tvp, crumbled tofu, even tempeh instead of the beefless if you’d like to. It’s yours to play with as you want!
Vegan 'Meaty' Chili
**This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker 1½ to 2 quarts - you can double the recipe and use a 3½ to 4 quart slow cooker
- 1 cup dry black beans
- 3 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- A few dashes liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup Ground Beefless (use Trader Joe's, frozen crumbles, or cook 1/2 cup Gimme Lean)
- 1/2 cup diced tomato (Use the ones with chipotle if you can find it)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- pinch ground hot pepper of choice, optional and to taste
- salt, to taste (Smoked salt would work great too.)
- vegan sour cream, for serving, optional
- baked sweet potato, for serving
- The night before: In your slow cooker add the dried beans, water, garlic, and liquid smoke. Cook on low overnight. (If your 1½ quart slow cooker does not have a low/high setting then it should run on low.)
- In the morning: Add everything else to the slow cooker (except for salt). Cook 8 - 9 hours on low.
- Before serving: Taste, add salt if needed, and adjust seasonings and add hot sauce, salt, or other add-ins now.
- Serve over a baked sweet potato and top with optional sour cream if you're in the mood for it.