It’s almost a whole new year! I’m looking forward to 2017 and ringing it in with some Vegan Creamy Black-Eyed Peas to fill my year up with luck! This recipe is so easy, and you can use water to saute in place of the oil to make them oil-free!
This is a great recipe to start using your Instant Pot. It’s easy, inexpensive, and can be served by itself, with cornbread or over your favorite whole grain.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can cook these on the stovetop. You will need to use more water, and you will bring the beans to a boil after you saute the onions. Turn to low, cover and simmer until tender. Use the leftovers to make my Easy Vegan Black-Eyed Pea Pecan Pate.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons oil or water saute to make oil-free
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1½ cups dried black-eyed peas (NOT soaked)
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Use the sauté setting over normal, or medium heat, and heat the oil or water. Saute the onion until they become transparent. Then add the garlic, smoked paprika and liquid smoke. Sauté a minute more.
- Add the black-eyed peas and water, then put the lid on and make sure that the vent is sealed. Cook on manual setting at high pressure and set for 25 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally. Stir in the nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper, then serve.
You could also cook up some greens and sweet potatoes to round out your New Year’s Day feast. Try these: