We are all looking to squeeze in more vegetables and this Lots O’ Veggies Bolognese recipe, from The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot, does it with style. It has a hearty texture that’s reminiscent of meat, but it’s actually cauliflower, eggplant, and mushrooms.
I had a reader who saw the slow cooker version on the site and asked if it could be made in the Instant Pot. This is for you!
Still haven’t jumped on the Instant Pot train yet? Get the original slow cooker recipe for my vegetable bolognese here.
Serves: 8 servings
Fat: 1 g
- 1⁄2 head cauliflower, cut into rough florets
- 1 (10-oz [300-g]) container mushrooms
- 2 cups (220 g) shredded carrot
- 2 cups (164 g) eggplant chunks
- 2 (28-oz [794-g]) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup (237 ml) water
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (32 g) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (42 g) agave nectar or
- sweetener of your choice
- 2 tbsp (32 g) balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp (4.5 g) dried oregano
- 1 tbsp (2 g) dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 tsp (2 g) dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the cauliflower florets to the food processor and pulse until the pieces are tiny and look like couscous. Scrape out into your Instant Pot liner.
- Now add the mushrooms to the food processor and pulse until small, then add them to your Instant Pot liner. Repeat with the carrots and eggplant, until all the veggies are minced and in your Instant Pot liner.
- Mix in the crushed tomatoes, water, garlic, tomato paste, agave nectar, balsamic vinegar, oregano,
- Cook on manual with high pressure for 7 minutes and let the pressure release naturally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and add more oregano, basil or rosemary if you feel that the flavor faded some during cooking.