I had some real research to do when the Idaho Potato Commission asked me to create a recipe for Brazilian Potato Salad. I hadn’t ever had it, but the more I read, the more familiar it seemed. It’s a lot like American potato salad because it’s mayo based. It also includes olives, veggies, and eggs.
This recipe gets that eggy flavor by adding some kala namack, an Indian salt that has a high sulfur content that makes food taste like eggs.
The potatoes and veggies are cooked in an Instant Pot if you have one. If not, you can easily cook them on the stove. But you may be one of the thousands of people who bought one on sale at the Amazon Prime sale.
- 4 cups Idaho® potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1½ cup diced carrots
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or thawed frozen)
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or thawed frozen)
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon vegan mayo
- 10 black or green olives, minced
- ½ to 1 teaspoon kala namak, to taste (or ½ teaspoon regular salt)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place the potatoes, water, and carrots into your Instant Pot and cook on manual, high pressure, for 10 minutes.
- Manually release the pressure and remove the lid. Add the peas and corn, replace the lid and cook on manual, low pressure, for 0 minutes. Yes, I really mean zero minutes.
- Once it's done, which will be a few minutes since it will need time to come back up to pressure, release the pressure manually.
- Pour everything into a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- Mixing the dressing ingredients together in a measuring cup or small bowl
- In a large mixing bowl add the cooled vegetables and the dressing then mix well.
- You can serve it as is, or chill for an hour.
- * Note: If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can still make this delicious salad. Just cook the potatoes and carrots in a pot on your stove over medium heat until they are easily pierced with a fork. Remove from heat and add peas and corn, cover and let sit for about 5 minutes, or until the peas and corn are cooked. Then start on step 4 above.