If you follow me on Instagram, you already know I’m little in love with Ella Leche’s new book, Cut the Sugar You’re Sweet Enough. Today I’m sharing her Vegan Chickpea Crepes which make a perfect lunch!
I did receive Cut the Sugar You’re Sweet Enough from the publisher, but all the opinions contained in this post are my own.
Ella’s book is not about depriving yourself or cutting out all the sweets in your life. I like that she talks about all the different sweeteners and often uses a combination of sweeteners to create treats with much less sugar in the end.
But the book is about more than desserts, drinks, or breakfast. There are chapters full of salads and appetizers, soups, mains and sides in addition to the chapters you expect.
Ella has 2 different recipes for gluten-free crepes. I made one and slathered her recipe for homemade chocolate hazelnut spread. Delicious! I am not a great crepe maker but I think with a little practice I’ll get good enough to make some for a brunch soon. I have leftovers in the fridge now for breakfast this week.
The recipe I’m sharing today is for her savory chickpea crepes. They are so easy to make – I mixed mine right in the blender and poured the batter out from there into the pan as I cooked them. I loved these and they turned out great.
She uses a chickpea salad filling, but you could use roasted veggies, tofu salad, or anything else you need to use up. I think a nice vegan cheese sauce drizzled over the top would be awesome too!
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 cup water (+ ¼ extra)
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- Mix all the ingredients together in a food processor or with an immersion blender and set aside for 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight.
- Heat a nonstick pan with oil over medium high heat. Scoop or pour out about ¼ cup of batter onto the pan and cook until bubbles form on top and the bottom is nice and golden. (Add the extra water if the batter is too thick and doesn’t cover the pan quickly and evenly.) Flip over with a spatula and cook for another minute or two. Remove from the pan and continue with all of the batter.
- Fill with the Smashed Chickpea Filling, recipe below, and avocado and fold over.
- 2 cups chickpeas, rinsed + drained
- 1 tsp mustard
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- pepper to taste
- ¼ cup parsley or cilantro
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and mix until small, slightly sticky crumbs form. Transfer
ontoa bowl and enjoy in Chickpea Crepes or sandwiches or alone as a salad.