It’s blueberry season! I love pie, but I’m usually too lazy to make a pie crust most nights. If you haven’t heard of a buckle before it has a cake bottom that’s topped with lots of blueberries and then finished off with an oat crumble.
Since I know many of you are on oil-free diets I adapted this recipe to be oil-free as well as soy-free and nut-free. It does use sugar, but you could experiment with the recipe to use your favorite sweetener.
You could also use a gluten-free baking mix in place of the whole wheat pastry flour and make it gluten-free too.
You layer fresh blueberries over the cake batter and then top that with the oat crumble. Then just bake and eat!
You could make this with any berry you have on hand, but it’s actually usually made with blueberries. I’m thinking of trying one with peaches and use vanilla extract in place of the lemon oil.
Vegan Lemon Blueberry Buckle - No Oil Added!
This is a cake that thinks it might be a coffeecake. A buckle is a cake that's usually studded with fresh blueberries and has a crisp-like topping.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or gluten-free baking mix)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon oil or 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk
- pinch salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9-inch square baking dish or equivalent with either spray oil or line with parchment paper to keep 100% oil-free.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside then mix the wet ones in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Now mix the topping ingredients in a bowl and you will use this last.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet and spread evenly in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the blueberries over the top and press in slightly.
Crublethe topping over the top. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until a fork comes out clean when you test the middle of the cake.