Today you get a day of rest in The Great Vegan Bean Book blog tour. So kickback and let your slow cooker make a treat for you.
Strawberries infused with vanilla, cardamom and orange adds a surprise to a lazy Sunday brunch or as a quick weeknight dessert. It’s getting warmer, so it’s time to get out your slow cookers if you put them away. Remember summer is another perfect season for slow cooking since it doesn’t heat up your house!
All you need is some fresh strawberries to throw in the slow cooker on low, along with some fragrant ingredients. Cardamom is one of my favorite spices and I can’t resist the fragrant , rich flavor of fresh vanilla beans.
This juicy, sweet compote that lives to top pancakes, waffles or even a bowl of vegan vanilla ice cream. There will be liquid left over since this is a juicy dish. Make sure to add some to sparkling wine for a unique brunch drink!
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- Juice of 2 oranges, about 1 cup
- ½ vanilla bean, split or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 whole green cardamom pods
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar (or other sweetener, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier, orange liquor or ½ teaspoon orange extract
- Hull the strawberries and place them whole into your 1½ to 2 quart slow cooker.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and cook for 2 hours on low.
- Serve on waffles, pancakes or over vegan vanilla ice cream.
- You can make this on the stove as well, but using your small slow cooker keeps your kitchen cool in the hot weather.