Are any of you getting beautiful heads of cabbage in your CSA yet? I’ve been getting some for the past month or two. Honestly, I’ve made enough raw cabbage salad for the summer and I was ready for something cooked.
I really like cooked cabbage, but Cheryl doesn’t. Well, until she had this Sweet and Sour red Cabbage. It’s so easy to make in the Instant Pot and she even asked for seconds!
Originally, this was going into my new book, The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot. But the book’s loss is your gain!
In the book, it was served as a side to some pierogies, but you could also serve it with some baked tofu or tempeh. Or wrap some chopped potato in foil and cook it on top of the cabbage and make mashed potatoes. You can also make it sweeter or more sour to suit your taste.
Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage Made Fast in Your Instant Pot
This is the dish that I've used to get cabbage haters to try - and like - cabbage for the very first time. The sweetness of the applesauce and the tang from the vinegar turns plain cabbage into something you can eat by the bowlful.
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) mild oil (or broth to make oil-free)
- 1/2 cup (80 g) minced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
Pressure Cooker Ingredients
- 6 cups (534 g) chopped cabbage
- 1 cup (237 ml) water
- 1 cup (244 g) applesauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Use the sauté setting over normal, or medium heat, and heat the oil or broth. Saute the onion until they become transparent. Then add the garlic and sauté a minute more.
- Add the pressure cooker ingredients listed above and put the lid on and make sure that the vent is sealed. Cook on manual setting at high pressure and set for 10 minutes.
- Carefully move the pressure valve to release the pressure manually.