This chunky Swamp Monster Slow Cooker Jackfruit Gumbo is full of okra, tomatoes, vegan sausage and stringy jackfruit. One of my testers, Robin Fetter of The Real Vegan Housewife, says the soup had “an awesome foamy green effect on top” when she served it immediately, but that the green became less bright after twenty minutes. She highly recommends puréeing the greens into the soup.
This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, and has no added oil so it’s perfect for all the guests you’re having over for Halloween or any other time.
This is just one of the 25 spooky recipes you’ll find in my Halloween e-cookbook, The Ghoulish Gourmet Halloween e-Cookbook. The pdf version costs $8.95 and you can click the buy now button to purchase (the button is below the recipe). Or you can get the Kindle version at Amazon for $9.95.
Serves: 4 to 6 servings
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups sliced okra (fresh or frozen)
- 3 cups diced tomatoes or 2 (14.5 ounce) cans
- 1 cup minced bell pepper (any color)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (20 ounce) young green jackfruit in brine, rinsed with seeds removed *
- 2 large vegan sausages (Italian, Chik’n Apple, or Andouille), cut into quarters lengthwise and sliced
- 2 bouillon cubes (vegetable or vegan chicken flavor)
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning blend (see recipe at bottom)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped spinach, kale or other mild green
- just enough water to puree, about ¼ cup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- more Cajun seasoning blend, to taste – optional
- steamed rice (white, brown or forbidden)
- hot sauce
- In the morning: Add all the main gumbo ingredients to your 4 quart slow cooker. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
- minutes before serving: Add the greens to a blender with a little water and purée until smooth. Then add salt, pepper and more Cajun seasoning if needed.
- Remove bay leaves and serve gumbo topped with the green “swamp” purée and a scoop of rice.