Here’s another recipe from The Great Vegan Bean Book that comes out June 1. This recipe may look familiar – it started out on this blog. It’s been slightly tweaked, a stove-top cooking method has been added (in addition to the original slow cooker one) and there’s nutritional information!
This book is not an all slow cooker book like The Vegan Slow Cooker, but I added in some slow cooker variations whenever there was space. A few got cut in editing, but I’m planning to add them here on the blog so you’ll be able to slow cook more of the recipes. I know you guys love slow cookers as much as I do!
Super Simple Mexican Quinoa with Black Beans
soy-free, gluten-free, oil-free
- 1 1/2 cup (225 g) bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) water
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes (or a 14.5 ounce can – do not drain)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans or 1 can (15 oz/420 g), rinsed and drained
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 cup (127.5 g) quinoa, rinsed well
- salt and pepper to taste, if needed
- Stove-top Instructions:
- Add all ingredients except for the salt and pepper into a medium sauce pot with a lid.
- Bring to boil then turn heat to low and cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is done.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Taste and add more chili powder or cumin if needed. (Remember as your spices age the flavor is not as strong.)
- Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Increase the amount of water to 2½ cups.
- The night before: Prepare the veggies and rinse the beans if you are using canned and keep in fridge overnight.
- In the morning: Add everything listed in the ingredient list above the quinoa to an oiled slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 10 hours. (You will add quinoa later.)
- to 2 hours before serving:
- Turn the slow cooker to high and add in the quinoa.
- Cook until you see the quinoa’s little white tails. That’s the signal that they’re ready to eat.
- Taste and add salt, more cumin, extra chili powder – what ever you need to do to make this taste the way you like it!
Be sure to let me know if you have any questions about The Great Vegan Bean Book or Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just You – which comes out this September and uses all 1 1/2 to 2 quart slow cookers in all the recipes.
If you pre-order now, you will get the lowest price available between now and when the book releases!