It actually was too cold for me to have all the windows open yesterday. It was wonderful to finally put on a sweater and we finally got to use the fireplace in our new house for the first time. In fact, I’m sipping on some rose tea in front of the fire as I’m writing this. Sigh…if only I could make this evening last a few days longer!
This is a lazy dinner that you can make at a moment’s notice. Perfect once winter gets going and if you, like me, tend to hibernate. All you need is a can of vegan chili and whole wheat shells in the pantry, plus some salsa and vegan shredded cheese in the fridge, to make this heart warming meal.
If you are on a low fat diet or prefer not to eat vegan cheese use about 1/4 cup nutritional yeast and 1/2 cup unsweetened So Delicious Coconut milk in its place. You’ll still get a great cheezy flavor.
Fireplace Chili Mac for VeganMofo
- 2 cups mini whole wheat shells
- 1 can Trader Joe's Vegetarian Chili (or some homemade chili you have in the fridge or freezer)
- 1 cup Daiya cheddar shreds (or 1/4 cup nutritional yeast and 1/4 cup unsweetened So Delicious Coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened So Delicious Coconut milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup roasted salsa, to taste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Tabasco, to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon jalapeño salt (or plain)
- Cook pasta according to the manufacturer's instructions. You want it al dente since it will cook a bit more in the chili.
- Drain the pasta.
- Add the chili and cheese (or nutritional yeast mixture) to the same pot you cooked the pasta in. Stir in the milk, salsa, Tabasco and salt.
- Cook over medium heat until the mixture is warm and the cheese starts to melt then toss in the pasta.
- Enjoy it curled up by the fire or under your favorite blanket while you watch some fun, mind numbing tv.
It is October after all. Happy Vegan Mofo (vegan month of food)!