Summer is just around the corner and it’s a good time to collect a few hot-weather recipes. This spread is a great alternative to cooking a full meal on a hot day or the perfect appetizer at your next cocktail party.
It goes well on crostinis, crackers, and even as a spread on a sandwich. Serve with a green salad and you’ve got yourself a full meal without all the sweat.
Serves: 2 cups
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup (160 g) minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (149 g) minced sweet or bell pepper
- 2 cups (164 g) minced eggplant
- ¼ cup (13.5) sun-dried tomatoes, minced in food processor
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup (60 ml) red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add the peppers, eggplant, sun-dried tomato, tomato paste and red wine.
- Cook until the eggplant is soft and cooked through.
- Add extra water or wine if the mixture gets to dry before the eggplant is completely done.
- Serve warm or cold with crackers or toasted thinly sliced baguette.