Little pieces of chocolate melt in your mouth and blend with the sweet strawberries to make this the perfect spring scone!
My cat, Irma was really drawn to the scones and just couldn’t stop smelling them. She wasn’t interested in eating them so I let her enjoy exploring them. I’m sure you already know, but chocolate is off limits for pets. Oddly enough she actually seemed most interested in the strawberries.
These are pretty healthy scones. I used whole wheat flour, flax seed eggs and even used vanilla vegan yogurt in place of the usual oil. I just used a little stevia since the chocolate chips were sweet.
You certainly could use grain-sweetened chocolate chips if you are avoiding white sugar all together.
- 1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup vanilla vegan yogurt (soy, coconut or almond)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk of your choice (I used a blend of cashew, almond and hazelnut milks)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or use a gluten-free mix)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon stevia
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the wet ingredients in a small bowl then add the dry ingredients to a larger bowl and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until combined.
- Grease 2 baking sheets or cover with parchment paper.
- Portion batter out with a muffin scoop into 14 scones spaced widely apart.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes until cooked through. If your strawberries are particularly juicy it could take a little longer.