This Sriracha Avocado Chickpea Salad could not be easier or faster to make. It takes about 5 minutes to throw it all together and is my new go-to lunch.
My problem is that when I’m working I don’t notice it’s time for lunch until I start to feel grumpy. ‘Hangry’ is really the perfect word for that angry feeling I get when I’ve waited too long to eat.
My life works best if I have some chickpea salad made up and ready to eat in the fridge, it’s so quick to make I can make up a batch in the nick of time too.
I use my OXO avocado tool to get as much as possible scraped out of my avocado. I like that you can cut, pit and scoop in one tool. You don’t have to have one, but be sure to use it if you do.
Then just mash the avocado, add the vegan mayo, and sriracha with the seasonings. I even put my bread in the toaster before I even begin because it comes together so fast.
I use some liquid smoke in this, but if you’re not a fan just leave it out. I love smokey flavors and think it adds another layer of flavor that makes this spread seem more complicated than it is.
Serves: about 2 cups
- ½ small avocado, mashed
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 teaspoon sriracha or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar or ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 to 3 drops liquid smoke
- salt, to taste (I used ¼ teaspoon)
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas drained and rinsed (save chickpea juice to bake with! See http://aquafaba.com/)
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a bowl. Add the chickpeas and mash, leaving them chunky.
- Spread on toast or crackers for the fastest meal ever!