Welcome to day 5 of love your oatmeal week! I thought since it’s Friday I need to shake things up a little and make something slightly wacky and unexpected. If Elvis had been a vegan this is how he would have started the day. This is a play on his favorite sandwich – a grilled peanut butter, banana, and bacon sandwich. It’s creamy, sweet, peanutty, and has a touch of smokiness and salt. Not bad for an end of the week breakfast.
There are tons of vegan bacon you can use. I used Frontier’s Organic Bac’uns. They are relatively low in salt ( 1 tablespoon has about 120 mg). If you don’t have anything like this on hand, or just want to make your soy-free, you can use a pinch of smoked salt instead, or even a few drops liquid smoke and a pinch of salt.
Try to listen to Elvis on Pandora while your eating it. Later, you can do the Friday dance in your blue suede shoes. Happy Friday!
Serves: 2 to 3
- ½ cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1 ripe banana
- (the riper it is the less extra sweetener you'll need to use)
- 2 tablespoons all natural peanut butter
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener (I used agave)
- For serving: crispy vegan bacon bits
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add oats and So Delicious Coconut Milk.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.
- In a separate bowl mash the banana, peanut butter, and agave together until a paste is formed. Mix this in with the oatmeal.
- Stir in agave or other sweetener. Top each serving with 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon vegan bacon bits depending on how much salty you like with your sweet..