I don’t know about where you are, but we can finally get local strawberries here in NC. I love them in everything from smoothies to salads and, of course, oatmeal.
If you are using frozen or not-so-ripe strawberries you may need to add a little extra sweetener. But if you’re lucky they’ll be so sweet that you may need no sweetener at all!
Don’t forget to enter the So Delicious Giveaway. You can get all the details here.
Serves: 2 or 3
- ½ cup steel-cut oats
- 1½ cups water
- ½ cup chopped strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener
- (I used agave)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped (I used orange mint in the oatmeal, but garnished it with pineapple mint.)
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add everything except sweetener, orange zest and mint.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency. The berries will have floated to the top of the crock. Just smash them a little with the spoon while you're mixing the pot to incorporate them into the mix. Stir in sweetener, orange zest and mint.