All I need is a few days in the 60s to be ready for Spring. A few days in the 80s and then I don’t want to go back! The weather here in NC obviously doesn’t share my opinion. It’s been cold and rainy – I even had to scrape ice off my car the other day! A bowl of this oatmeal, and a few daydreams are all I need to believe spring is really here.
This oatmeal has the tang of fresh strawberries with the smooth flavor of the lemon extract. The lemon zest adds an extra burst of flavor that really makes it perfect. You may need to add extra sweetener if your strawberries aren’t super sweet.
Slow Cooker Strawberry Lemonade Oatmeal
**This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker that's 1½ to 2 quarts
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener
- (I used agave)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon lemon zest
The night before:
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add everything except sweetener and lemon zest.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
In the morning:
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency. The berries will have floated to the top of the crock. Just smash them a little with the spoon while you're mixing the pot to incorporate them into the mix. Stir in sweetener and lemon zest.
**(See Page Link on Menu Bar to get to Slow Cooker Oatmeal FAQS)