Each month Fiction Kitchen puts on a vegan brunch at the Pinhook in Durham, NC. If you are nearby, it’s not to be missed. Yesterday, they blessed us with a state fair menu of: corn dogs, mac and cheese, and apple fritters. It’s was so much fun to eat, and super yummy too.
So, how could I even think of anything other than fair food after that? I blame you, Fiction Kitchen, for my newest obsession…
I still wanted this oatmeal to be healthy enough to eat for breakfast, so pouring caramel over it was not in the cards. Instead, I used a little more sweetener than I normally do and made the choice to use brown sugar. I added the brown sugar into the coconut milk (beverage – not canned) and applesauce so that it would all cook together. Usually I add sweetener after the cooking, but it got more caramel-like in flavor by letting it all cook together.
This is not an exact replica taste-wise, but it was close enough to make me happy today. I’m going to do some more experimenting with vegan caramel flavors.
** Make sure to check out my other oatmeal recipes. I have over 40 different flavors!
Serves: 2 to 3
- ½ cup (40g) steel cut oats
- 2 cup (500ml) Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- ½ cup (124g) applesauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar (or brown rice syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later. Add all the ingredients (including the brown sugar and vanilla).
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should be a more uniform consistency.
I forgot to take a picture of my oats before I went to work, so that’s why it’s not all fancied up. I’m hoping this pic of my Hello Kitty thermos will make you just as happy ; )