I do have at least one or two savory surprises this week, but I just had to share the birthday oatmeal I made for Cheryl. She’s been asking for this oatmeal for the past 3 weeks. I had trouble wrapping my head around a vegan, oatmeal sub for the nougat. Then it came to me – almond butter mixed with the vanilla So Delicious yogurt. It tasted exactly like nougat to me, so Cheryl got a bowl of birthday oatmeal instead of a cake! (That’s what she wanted, so don’t think I was being mean.)
This oatmeal has a base of vanilla yogurt layered with almond butter nougat and topped with chopped peanuts and chocolate chips. Feel free to drizzle some brown rice syrup or agave to mimic caramel.
I didn’t want the chocolate to overwhelm the nougat so I put it on top instead of adding it to the oatmeal. Just add 1 tablespoon cocoa to the oatmeal if you want to amp up the chocolate flavor.
Slow Cooker Snickers Oatmeal
**This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker that's 1½ to 2 quarts
- 1/2 cup Country Choice Organic steel-cut oats
- 2 cups Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons Vanilla So Delicious Coconut Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon vegan chocolate chips, whole or chopped
- 1 tablespoon peanuts, whole or chopped
- 1 tablespoon agave, brown rice syrup, or maple syrup to drizzle like caramel
The night before:
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add oats, pineapple, cinnamon, and So Delicious Coconut Milk.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours). You can mix the nougat topping ingredients now and store in the fridge overnight.
In the morning:
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.
- Layer each serving with the nougat topping and top with whole or chopped chocolate chips and peanuts.