I am a huge fan of tofu. I always tell people if they don’t like it they haven’t had me cook it for them yet. It’s not as egotistical as it sounds! It’s just that most people simply don’t know how to use tofu to their advantage.
Tofu is the perfect palette to add flavors to…and I love smoky flavors! You can probably tell because of my heavy use of liquid smoke in most of my recipes. I used to buy a brand of smoked tofu when I lived in New Orleans (which I can’t get here in Durham). However, it was the perfect thing to have on asian style greens. Yum!
This is my first try smoking tofu in the slow cooker. You can smoke it on the grill with a smoker box, but it’s January, the perfect time to find another way. A way that is inside the warm house of course!
I made this in my largest oval slow cooker. You could cut the planks to fit your slow cooker, but I’m too lazy at the moment. I bought maple grilling planks because they were on sale, but you can get any kind grilling planks that you prefer.
I’m calling this one version 1 because I want to try to marinate next time, so I’ll be posting that in the next few weeks.
Slow Cooker Smoked Tofu (Version 1) (gluten-free)
Use large oval slow cooker - or - cut wood to fit your slow cooker - I used this one
- 1 container firm tofu
- liquid smoke
- 2 Wood grilling planks (I used maple and I bought mine at World Market)
The night before:
- Submerge the planks in water (or juice or wine) and soak for 1 hour.
- Dry in the oven on 350 for 5 - 10 minutes until it is dry. (I got this from the plank instructions.)
- Cut the tofu into 4 slices (lengthwise) so you have 4 flat pieces.
- Wrap these in a very clean dish cloth or paper towels and put a heavy sauté pan or cutting board on top to press the water out.
- After 20 - 30 minutes unwrap and lightly brush with liquid smoke.
- Place the first plank in the slow cooker. It will not be exactly straight across (it will be angled slightly), and will be in the upper third of the slow cooker. Place 2 of the tofu slices on this plank. Add the other plank on top of this and put the other 2 tofu slices.
- Cook on high overnight to create a very firm tofu. Your house will smell a little like a campfire or fireplace, but I considered that a bonus!