Happy Monday! I don’t know about you, but I’d rather still be at home sleeping. I may have to implement a permanent dessert for breakfast Mondays to tempt me into a better Monday mood.
Red velvet cake is one of my absolute favorite desserts, so I thought I’d turn it into an oatmeal (big surprise, right?) I cooked the beets ahead of time because I didn’t think they would mash into a paste if I cooked them along with the oatmeal. It’s a great way to use up that leftover or forgotten beet in the back of your vegetable drawer.
This didn’t turn out as red as I wanted it, but I don’t think it could take more beets or less cocoa and still taste as good. Even my resident beet hater didn’t complain!
Slow Cooker Red Velvet Cake Oatmeal - The Oatmeal to Brighten Your Monday
**This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker that's 1½ to 2 quarts
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup cooked beet, puréed (Use 1 - 3 tablespoons of the milk or water if needed.)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener
- (I used agave)
- vanilla creme icing: 3 tablespoons Vanilla So Delicious Coconut Yogurt mixed with the paste scraped out of 1/2 vanilla bean
The night before:
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add everything except for the sweetener and vanilla creme icing.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
In the morning:
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.
- Stir in sweetener and top with vanilla creme icing.