It’s day 10 of my “Love Your Oatmeal Celebration” and it’s a Friday too! This oatmeal reminds me of sweet potato pie filling that’s topped with the gooey insides of a pecan pie. Two Southern faves to celebrate the end of the week. After all, the end of the week should be sweet, right?
I like to try any food that’s a little out of the ordinary and that’s how the purple sweet potatoes came to be in my kitchen. A local organic farmer grew some this year and they are beautiful. I left some of them as small chunks in the photo above so you can see just how dark they get. They almost look like beets! (Oh, beets and oatmeal could work too…) I love the way they add a bold color to dishes they are in.
I am going to try and make some “real” food this weekend to post (hopefully a green Thai curry), but I can’t promise that oatmeal recipes may not appear next week again. I already have more ideas.
I went a little lighter on the spices to let the topping shine through. Feel free to adjust them until it’s just the way you like it! As always, you can leave off the topping altogether, but you may need to add a little sweetener if you do.
Slow Cooker Purple Sweet Potato Pecan Pie Oatmeal
**This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker that's 1½ to 2 quarts
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk (only 50 calories a cup!)
- 1 cup chopped peeled purple sweet potato (or regular sweet potato - it just won't be purple)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
'pecan pie' topping
- 2 tablespoon chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
- 2 tablespoon agave nectar
The night before:
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add everything except pecan pie topping ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Mix together the 'pecan pie' topping in a small bowl and store in the fridge until the morning.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
In the morning:
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.
- Top each serving with a few tablespoons of the 'pecan pie' topping, making it as sweet as you like it.