My aunt used to make the most wonderful applesauce cake every year in the fall. It was unbelievably moist and had the perfect blend of spices to get you in the mood to take a drive to look at the fall foliage. I love the color changes of the leaves.
This is my attempt to get close to that flavor. I added pears for a little twist (because I have some ripe ones that need to be used).
You may not need any extra sweetener in this one if your pear is very sweet. My pear wasn’t and I wanted to get in an additional fall taste with the brown sugar.
** Make sure to check out my other oatmeal recipes. I have over 40 different flavors!
Slow Cooker Pear Applesauce Cake Oatmeal
soy-free and gluten-free **This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker 1½ to 2 quarts
- 1/2 cup (40g) steel-cut oats
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup (124g) applesauce
- 1 small pear, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 pinches (about 1/16 teaspoon) allspice
- 2 pinches cloves
- 2 pinches cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- sweetener of choice, to taste (I used 2 tablespoons brown sugar)
The night before:
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later. Add all the ingredients except the sweetener.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
In the morning:
- Stir your oatmeal well and add sweetener. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should be a more uniform consistency.