Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just You is one of my favorite cookbooks. I love cooking in a 1 1/2 to 2-quart slow cooker. Since we’re a household of two we can make just enough food and not worrying about eating the same thing day after day.
We make these Slow Cooker Lentil-Quinoa Tacos all the time. It’s so easy to throw everything in the slow cooker and then go to work, run errands, or just spend your time knocking things off your to-do list.
Slow Cooker Lentil-Quinoa Taco Filling contains no soy or gluten yet, has an almost meaty texture that tacos love. This filling is also a great place to stash some shredded greens, fresh chopped summer squash, and more seasonal goodies from your market.
You can cook them with the other ingredients in the slow cooker, or add them raw to freshen it up a bit. Let your imagination guide you.
Serves: 6 tacos
Serving size: ½ cup
Fat: 0.5 g
- ¼ cup (48 g) brown lentils
- ¼ cup (48 g) beluga lentils or brown lentils
- ¼ cup (43 g) quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 soft or hard corn taco shells (use gluten-free shells to make this gluten-free and use fat free soft taco shells to keep it oil-free)
- Add all the ingredients except the salt, pepper, and taco shells to the 1½- to 2-quart slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Before serving, add salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust any of the seasonings as needed.
- Serve in taco shells with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, or any of your other favorite taco toppings.
In addition to this hearty taco filling, there are other super easy sandwich recipes in Vegan Slow Cooking for Two:
Carolina Barbecue Soy Curls
Sloppy Black-Eyed Peas (click and give this one a try too!)
Indian Mashed Veggie Sandwich (Pav Bhaji)
New England Tofu Rolls
Asian Shiitake Sliders
Looking to start your own food blog? My friend at HurrytheFoodUp.com has some great info for you HERE.