It’s been unseasonably warm most days here in Durham. That’s got me thinking about gardening and cocktail parties on my deck. Of course, then comes the day it’s 40 degrees again and it make me a little sad and disappointed. This oatmeal adds a burst of sunshine into any cold, cloudy day.
If you don’t have lemon extract, stir in extra lemon zest (another 1/2 to whole lemon zested) before serving. You could also substitute the milk with water and add lemon juice if you prefer (probably about 1 tablespoon). Do not add lemon juice to any of the nondairy milks as it will be a curdled mess.
If winter is getting you down try repeating my mantra…”Spring is almost here, spring is almost here…”
Serves: 2 or 3
- ½ cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups Unsweetened Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener
- (I used agave)
- 3 tablespoons Vanilla So Delicious Coconut Yogurt mixed with the zest of ½ a lemon
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add oats, milk, lemon and vanilla extracts.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.
- Stir in sweetener.
- Top each serving with the creme topping. It will add sweetness and extra lemon flavor. You may find that you can cut the sweetener in half.