I love the flavors of Indian food and that includes kheer. Kheer is a creamy rice pudding with cardamom, raisins, and nuts. This oatmeal is a guilt-less (and vegan) version of the tradition cream laden dessert.
This is one of my all time oatmeal favorites and the ingredients should be available in your local grocery so give it a try this week. I may actually make this for dessert one night this week. It tasted exactly like the kheer I remember!
Slow Cooker Kheer Oatmeal
**This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker that's 1½ to 2 quarts
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup raisins or raisin mix
- (I used Trader Joe's golden berry mix with raisins, cherries, cranberries, and blueberries.)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener (I used agave)
- For serving: a pinch of saffron and chopped nuts (pistachios, cashews, almonds or assortment)
The night before:
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add oats, So Delicious Coconut Milk, raisins, and cardamom.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
In the morning:
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.
- Stir in agave or other sweetener and the saffron if you're using it. Top each serving with chopped nuts.