I thought a yummy, moist coconut cake would be a great way to end Southern dessert oatmeal week. This is modeled after my favorite – which has gooey white frosting on the outside, but a hint of lemon between the cake layers.
Just so you know I actually have a savory recipe to post next week. And it’s not oatmeal! Don’t worry though, I’ve made a long list of more oatmeal recipes to try, so a few of those may show up next week too.
Serves: 2 or 3
- ½ cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- ½ cup finely shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract or ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sweetener
- (I used agave)
- 4 tablespoons Vanilla So Delicious Coconut
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add oats, milk, coconut, lemon and vanilla extracts.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.
- Stir in sweetener.
- Top each serving with the icing topping. It will add sweetness and extra coconut flavor if you include the coconut extract, but you can always just top with extra shredded coconut.