The good news is this oatmeal definitely tastes more like dessert than most. The bad news is that it’s higher in calories than most too. It’s a perfect end of the week reward. You can use 1/2 the topping to make it more in line with the calories on the other oatmeals. Brown rice syrup is kinda high in calories and so are this amount of pecans.
In this oatmeal I actually use a teaspoon of bourbon. First off because I couldn’t find any bourbon extract, and secondly because it cooks out. This results in the alcohol amount which is actually less than an alcohol based vanilla extract stirred in after cooking.
This would make a nice weekend treat too. You can wake up to breakfast on Saturdays too! I often forget that and find myself getting grumpy because I don’t eat soon enough.
Serves: 2 or 3
- ½ cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- topping - vary amount to how decadent you want to be!
- ¼ to ½ cup chopped pecans
- ⅛ to ¼ cup agave
- ⅛ to ¼ cup brown rice syrup
- The night before: Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later. Add everything except topping ingredients to the slow cooker. Now mix together the topping in a small bowl and store in the fridge until the morning. Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
- In the morning: Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency. Top each serving with a few tablespoons of the pecan mixture. You may want to add some extra sweetener or a few extra chopped nuts.