I have to say this has not been my favorite week. We didn’t have power for 3 days and with our well, that means no water too. I now know that I haven’t appreciated piped water nearly enough. Yesterday the power went off again while I was working on a tight deadline, so I put on my big girl panties, packed up my stuff and drove to the closest coffee shop.
Guess what? Their internet was down, and by the time I got a drink, the power was back on at the house. I’m starting to think that something was out to get me. Of course, I know that’s not the case. By the end of the day I was almost caught up with work and found a vegan cherry pie on my trip to Whole Foods. The week is finally turning around!
With the cold weather that just keeps coming back I’ve been making lots of chili, which is a perfect winter food. Beyond Meat sent me a few samples of their new crumbles and it was perfect for some chili experimentation. It worked great in the slow cooker and took cooking all day in stride. I can’t wait to try it in more slow cooker dishes.
Slow Cooker Beyond Meat Chili
gluten-free, no-added oil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups homemade)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (or plain + 1 tablespoon diced green chilies)
- 1 cup Beyond Meat Beef-Free Crumbles
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (or a few drops liquid smoke)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (more if you like it hot)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, to taste
- salt, to taste