On my eating plan there is no white potatoes for 3 months. After that, I can have them once a week, which is plenty. I miss my chili potato, but bean chili goes great over sweet potatoes too!
In the winter it’s fairly hard to give up mashed potatoes so I came up with this compromise. You can just use cauliflower or parsnips by themselves. I just like them together too. You could also add in wasabi or roasted garlic to make them fancy.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, broken into small 'trees' (frozen is fine too)
- 4 -5 parsnips, chopped (peel if not organic)
- optional - 2 cloves garlic, minced
- filtered water
- ½ - 1 cup milk of your choice (I use unsweetened soy or almond milk)
- ¼ cup Earth Balance
- salt and pepper to taste
- The night before: Peel the parsnips if they aren't organic. Chop the parsnips and break down the cauliflower. Store in the fridge until morning.
- Place the veggie in the slow cooker.
- Add about 1-2 inches of water.
- Cook on low 6 – 8 hours.
- Pour out some of the water if needed - you don't want this to be too soupy.
- Add ½ cup milk and Earth Balance and use immersion blender. You have to keep at it until they look like mashed potatoes. (They will - I promise!).
- Season to taste.
- Serve with some mushroom gravy over it for a special treat.