I love making oatmeal that reminds me of favorite desserts. This tastes like a cake I had almost 20 years ago (or at least what it’s become in my mind). The banana and chocolate go perfectly with the flavor of the hazelnuts. This is really a simple oatmeal to throw together before you go to bed. You can toast the nuts the night before or in the morning.
I wouldn’t skip toasting the hazelnuts though, because I did and it wasn’t nearly as good. You can put them on a sheet pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Make sure not to forget about them, because nuts tend to burn quickly. I can’t count the amount of times I’ve spaced it – so I always set a timer. You can get fancy and rub the skins off the hazelnuts with a towel, but I say what’s a little more fiber in your diet?
If you really don’t want to deal with the nuts, leave out the chocolate and mix in about a tablespoon of Nutella instead. It’s not quite as healthy, but it will taste great!
Don’t forget to enter the So Delicious Giveaway. You can get all the details here.
Slow Cooker Banana Hazelnut Torte Oatmeal
**This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker that's 1½ to 2 quarts
The night before:
- Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later.
- Add oats, milk, and vanilla.
- Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).
In the morning:
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should become a more uniform consistency.
- Stir in sweetener and mashed banana.
- Top each serving with hazelnuts, chopped chocolate chips and more sliced bananas if desired.