With the weather getting cooler, it’s time to add a vegan sloppy Joe to your menu plan. I’ve made sloppy Joes with tempeh, black eyed peas – but this one is made with cooked beans you can grab from the pantry or your freezer.
As you can guess from their title, Sloppy Buffalo Beans, is spicy from Buffalo hot sauce and chilled off with some homemade vegan ranch dressing. There are also little bits of chunky carrots and celery to add some crunch. It’s a bonus that these come together quick!
This recipe is from my book, The Great Vegan Bean Book.
Sloppy Buffalo Beans from The Great Vegan Bean Book
soy-free, gluten-free, oil-free option* This sloppy Joe variation from The Great Vegan Bean Book is a little bit spicy. If you’re family isn’t a fan of heat use less hot sauce or use a milder sauce in its place.
For the ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vegan yogurt (coconut or soy)
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon agave
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground black pepper, smoked paprika, and onion powder
For the kidney bean mixture
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans or two 15-0unce cans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup cayenne pepper sauce or Buffalo hot sauce,
- or milder sauce of your choice, to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Vegan Sour Cream or Cashew Cream
- 4 whole wheat buns, lightly toasted
- Minced carrot and celery, for serving
- To make the dressing, mix all the ingredients and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Add the kidney beans, hot sauce, tomato paste, thyme, liquid smoke, and garlic to a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the garlic mellows, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add the sour cream and heat thoroughly.
- Serve over the toasted buns open-face style topped with the carrot and celery mixture and the ranch dressing. If you have some unexpected guests, serve as a regular sandwich and the filling will stretch up to eight sandwiches.