I’ve been in love with the humble turnip and rutabaga ever since my first winter CSA. The wonderful thing about them is that they are inexpensive, keep for a long period of time and how they mellow out with cooking. If you have some left over from the risotto, try roasting them and serving them on salads and pizzas.
Using barley allows this risotto to cook all day. Do not substitute rice because it will cook in 1 1/2 to 2 hours and be a paste when you come home form work!
You could also use whole spelt berries if you have those.
Root Veggie Barley Risotto
In the morning
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (92 g) barley
- 1/2 cup (65 g) diced carrots
- 1/2 cup (75 g) diced turnips or rutabagas, peeled
- 1/2 cup (67 g) diced sweet potatoes or (70 g) winter squash
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
In the evening
- 1 cup (56 g) minced greens (such
- as turnips, collards, kale, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper, to taste