I want to share one of my favorite lazy recipes with you today. This Quick and Easy Creamy Tomato Soup comes together with the least effort and tastes like you worked hard all day.
I have 3 different methods to cook it for you to choose from: on the stove, in your slow cooker or in your Instant Pot! Basically, you are cooking the oats and softening up the cashews. The oats and cashews are what makes this soup extra creamy.
I like my creamy tomato soup to be very thick, but you can add extra water to thin it out if you prefer it that way.
In case you don’t know, an Instant Pot is a multi-function cooker and it has a slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, porridge and yogurt maker settings. But you don’t have to have one to make this soup, just use your slow cooker or a pot on the stove-top.
What’s your favorite easy soup to make on the weekend? Do you have an electric pressure cooker? Let me know in the comments below.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 - 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes (can use tomato puree)
- 1 - 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup cashew pieces
- 3 tablespoons oats (rolled, steel-cut or Scottish)
- 1 to 2 vegetarian bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add all the ingredients EXCEPT for the agave nectar, salt and pepper to your Instant Pot. Cook on manual for 5 minutes and let the pressure come down naturally - that will take about 10 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients EXCEPT for the agave nectar, salt and pepper to your slow cooker. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours.
- Add all the ingredients EXCEPT for the agave nectar, salt and pepper to a soup pot. Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes to soften the cashews.
- Carefully pour the cooked mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to do this in 2 batches. Add agave nectar if using and salt and pepper to taste. You can also add more water if the soup is thicker than you want it to be.