Pineapple Rum Beans from The Great Vegan Bean Book
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil (*use water or broth)
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (165 g) pineapple, chopped small
- 3 cups (750 g) cooked pinto or black beans or 2 cans (15 ounces, or 420 g each), rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt (plain or smoked)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add the pineapple, beans, rum, thyme, paprika, marjoram, and cumin.
- Cook over medium heat until it starts simmering and then decrease the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 25 to 35 minutes, until the flavors meld.
- Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
soy-free gluten-free oil-free option*
Per 1 cup Pineapple Rum Beans: 270.6 calories; 7.6 g total fat; 1.1 g saturated fat; 11.8 g protein; 36.6 g carbohydrate; 11.9 g dietary fiber; 0 mg cholesterol.
Coconut Lime Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, baked or peeled and boiled
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) light coconut milk
- Zest and juice of 1 large lime
- Salt and pepper
- If using baked sweet potatoes cut in half and scrape the flesh into a saucepan (or just add if boiled).
- Mash the potatoes with the coconut milk and lime zest and juice until smooth.
- Taste, add salt and pepper, and taste again. You can add more lime juice or coconut milk if needed.
soy-free gluten-free oil-free
Per 1 ½ cups: 123.0 calories; 2.1 g total fat; 1.6 g saturated fat; 2.7 g protein; 24.8 g carbohydrate; 3.8 g dietary fiber; 0 mg cholesterol.