Here’s a wonderful recipe from The Great Vegan Bean Book that’s perfect for a lazy day at home. Mother Stallard Beans are beautiful football shaped beans that make a brilliant broth. That’s why this recipe is so simple that you can pull it together in minutes before you go to work if you’re using the slow cooker version.
You can make it in the slow cooker or on the stovetop. Leftovers are great over rice or quinoa.
- 2 cups (386 g) dry Mother Stallard Beans, rinsed and picked through
- 6 cups (1410 ml) water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (2 inch) sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 carrots, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add everything except salt and pepper to a soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat down to medium low.
- Cook until the beans are tender about 2 to 3 hours. If your beans are older it can take as much as twice as long.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and then dig into a bowl of home-cooked goodness!
- Add everything except salt and pepper to the slow cooker and cook for 7 to 10 hours on low.
- Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.