I know some of you have been missing the slow cooker recipes, and I have one of the simplest recipes for you today. Vegan Slow Cooker Mother Stallard Beans even has a stove-top variation. It’s from The Great Vegan Bean Book and perfect for a lazy day at home or it will cook while you are at work.
What are Mother Stallard Beans? They are beautiful football shaped heirloom beans that make a brilliant broth. That’s why this recipe has so few ingredients, the beans really are the stars.
You can make it in the slow cooker or on the stovetop. Leftovers are great over rice or quinoa.
Mother Stallard Beans
soy-free, gluten-free, oil-free
- 2 cups (386 g) dry Mother Stallard Beans, rinsed and picked through
- 6 cups (1410 ml) water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (2 inch) sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 carrots, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
Stove Top Directions:
- Add everything except salt and pepper to a soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat down to medium low.
- Cook until the beans are tender about 2 to 3 hours. If your beans are older it can take as much as twice as long.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and then dig into a bowl of home-cooked goodness!
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Add everything except salt and pepper to the slow cooker and cook for 7 to 10 hours on low.
- Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.