This is my favorite recipe from The Easy Vegan Cookbook. I love cauliflower everything, but batter it up, bake it, and make a po’boy and cauliflower turns into magic!
Cauliflower Po' Boys from The Easy Vegan Cookbook
Serves: 4 servings
Living in New Orleans makes you think anything can be made into a sandwich. After all, if you can have a French fry po’ boy, why not one made of cauliflower? Please note that the cauliflower will be bone dry after it’s roasted, so it will need to be “dressed” in some kind of saucy condiment. In New Orleans, if you order a sandwich “dressed,” that means you want mayo, lettuce and tomato.
- ½ head cauliflower, broken into florets
- ½ loaf soft French bread, cut into 4 pieces depending on loaf size (*use gluten-free bread)
- ½ cup (62.5 g) white whole-wheat flour or regular whole wheat (*use a gluten-free flour blend)
- ¼ cup (30.5 g) cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning blend
- 2 teaspoons (3.3 g) nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) not-too-hot vinegar-based hot sauce such as Texas Pete or Louisiana Hot Sauce
- ¼ cup (60 g) vegan mayo or vegan sour
- 1½ teaspoons (7 ml) garlic Tabasco or the hot sauce you used in the wet mix
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a large sheet pan with oil (**or line with parchment paper). Set aside.
- Combine the dry mix ingredients in a small mixing bowl and the wet ones in a separate bowl. Toss the cauliflower florets in the wet mixture then transfer to the dry mixture and coat well.
- Spread the florets on the sheet pan and roast for 20 to 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes. Cook until the cauliflower is tender and is easily pierced with a fork.
- While the cauliflower roasts, mix the mayo ingredients together. If the French bread is fresh there is no need to toast it, but if it’s getting dry, go ahead and toast it.
- Spread a thick layer of the spicy mayo (**use mustard or tofu sour cream) on both sides of the bread, then layer with the cooked cauliflower. You can top with more hot sauce, lettuce and tomato.
These are addictive. Make a double batch and freeze some for another time. Just reheat in a 350°F (177°C) oven until warm.
To get more delicious cauliflower recipes —>>> click here.