This is a hearty, thick soup that’s chock full of green veggies. The sweet potato helps mask the taste of the broccoli and greens, so it’s a great way to sneak some extra green veggies past your picky eaters.
- 2 medium (1 pound or 425g) sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (200g) lentils
- 6 cups (1500ml) water
- 2 tablespoon not-chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1 to 2 cups beet, collard, turnip greens, chopped
- Chop sweet potato and mince garlic, then store them together in a container in the fridge overnight.
- Chop the greens and store separately in the fridge, because you'll add them 1 hour before eating. If your family isn't used to eating greens start with 1 cup and work up to 2.
- Add all ingredients except green beans, broccoli, and greens to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
- Add green beans, broccoli, and greens. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, and herbs before serving.