This Vegan Instant Pot Teff Vegetable Soup is gluten-free, soy-free, and has no oil added. It gets protein from teff, the world’s smallest grain!
Another bonus is you probably have everything in your pantry and freezer right now. No Instant Pot? Get the stovetop version on The Teff Company’s site.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or water saute to make oil-free
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup Maskal Ivory Teff
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 (14.4 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato puree (or 2 tablespoons tomato paste and ¾ cup extra water)
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb mix
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables (carrot, corn, peas, and green beans)
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas, drained (save liquid for baking - it's aquafaba!)
- ¼ to ½ cup nutritional yeast, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb mix, or to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Use the sauté setting over normal, or medium heat, and heat the oil or water. Saute the onions until they become transparent. Then add the garlic and sauté a minute more. Add the teff and toast for about a minute.
- Add the water or broth, diced tomatoes, tomato puree, and Italian herbs to your Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes and carefully release the pressure manually.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables, cabbage, and chickpeas to the teff mixture. Cook on high pressure for 1 minute and let the pressure release naturally.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast, oregano, salt, and pepper, then serve.