The first time I saw an Indian Chickpea Yogurt Salad I knew I would have to veganize it. There are cooling bites of cucumber mixed with hearty potatoes and chickpeas all held together with vegan yogurt and aromatic Indian spices. It’s wonderful to open up the fridge on a hot day and scoop some of this on your plate. It tastes great and cools you down too!
This recipe uses kala namak or Indian black salt. Calling it black salt is always confusing to me because the outside is black but what you buy is pink and powdery.
You can get it cheapest in an Indian market though you can easily order kala namak online too. What’s so special about it is that it really makes things taste like eggs. It has a higher sulfur content than regular salt and is amazing in scrambled tofu too. If you hated the taste of eggs you can leave it out.
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas or 2 cans (15 ounces, or 425 g each), rinsed and drained
- 1 large potato, cooked and diced (peeled if not organic)
- 1 large cucumber, diced (peeled if waxed)
- ½ small onion, minced (optional)
- 1 cup unsweetened soy yogurt (*use So Delicious plain coconut yogurt to make soy-free)
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 ½ to 2 ½ teaspoons kala namak
- (use less if you are on a low sodium diet, but kala namak is less salty than most salts - also do not use this much if subbing regular salt!)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ to 1 ½ teaspoons cayenne or other spicy chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, potato, cucumber, and onion.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Add the dressing to the veggies and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Serve topped with cilantro.