Every family seems to have a special recipe for sweet potato casserole. This one is less sweet than the sticky sweet casserole of my youth. It skips the caramel and marshmallow sometimes included. You could add vegan versions of both if you really want to. After all, any day is a holiday when you get to eat sweet potato casserole!
Holiday Sweet Potato Casserole
- 8 large sweet potatoes, cut in chunks
- 1 1/2 (355 ml) cup water
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup (60 top 120 ml)non-dairy milk (plain or vanilla)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- pinch ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) vegan margarine
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- 3/4 cup (170 g) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (30 g) whole wheat flour (*use gluten-free flour instead)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) non-dairy milk or water
- 1/2 cup (55 g) pecans, chopped
The night before:
- Cut sweet potatoes. Make the topping by combining the ingredients and mixing thoroughly. Store topping and sweet potatoes in fridge overnight.
- Chop pecans and store in a covered bowl, unrefrigerated, overnight.
- In the morning: Add sweet potatoes and water to an oiled crock. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.
30 to 45 minutes before serving:
- Turn slow cooker to high. Mash sweet potatoes in crock.
- Add spices and part of the non-dairy milk. Add the rest of the milk if the potatoes are still too stiff, but leave out if they are runny.
- Drop spoonfuls of pre-mixed topping. As the topping begins to melt, spread with the back of a spoon across the top to make it more even.
- Serve once the topping is melted and the dish is heated throughout.