We had our annual Gothic dinner party and my vegan gluten-free main course was grit cake ghosts over slimy eyes, or black-eyed peas. You can make it anytime of the year of course, and not cut the grit cakes into ghosts.
I made the black-eyed peas in the slow cooker and it was so easy. You can just cook the beans and water if you want to use them for another recipe that calls for cooked black-eyed peas.
- 1 pound dry black-eyed peas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups of water, or enough to cover the beans and about 1 inch above
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, to taste
- a few drops liquid smoke
- hot pepper powder (chipotle etc.), to taste
- smoked salt and pepper, taste
- jalapeño salt, optional - to taste
- Tabasco, on the side for serving
- If you can find some jalapeño salt it really adds a special touch to this dish. I dusted it on top of my grit ghosts.