Happy Hummus Day! Sabra wants to help you celebrate with a coupon that’s available until midnight 5/13/2016.
Just so you know, this post is sponsored by Sabra. I’m lucky to be one of their Sabra Tastemakers for the year and get to create fun recipes for them.
I’m celebrating Hummus Day with Sabra limited edition flavor caramelized onion with smoked paprika. I added some extra smoked paprika, some chopped thyme and a bit of smoked salt. It’s amazing that way and I suggest you try it too!
Today I’m turning dinner into an unofficial meal. Well, sometimes it becomes a defacto official meal once I add a glass of wine, some veggies, and a few homemade chickpea crackers. Then I get a little too comfortable to make more than a big leafy salad for dinner.
But honestly, a salad and hummus is a perfect dinner on the deck. I’m all about eating dinner outside, so this works for me!
I love making my own crackers. It’s really so simple and all you need is flour, baking powder, and water. Anything more is a delicious addition.
You can make the large fancy crackers, break them for a rustic look, or even use cookie cutters to make cute shapes.
This recipe is gluten and soy free.
Vegan Chickpea Crackers
This recipe is simple and doesn't take too much time. You do need to roll the dough as thin as possible, but it gets easier the more you do it.
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or substitute olive, sunflower, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup water, plus more as needed
- cumin seeds
- poppy seeds
- cracked black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Add the flour and baking powder to your mixer or food processor and mix well. Add in the oil and mix until it looks similar to course cornmeal.
- Add ¼ cup water and mix more. Add more water tablespoon by tablespoon until the dough comes together into a ball. Let the dough rest for about 5 minutes.
- Divide the ball into 8 pieces and roll into thin ovals. I roll it out between 2 pieces of parchment paper.
- Place on baking sheets covered with parchment paper. Top with any of the additional toppings and press in with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Bake for 5 minutes and check to see if done. If not bake more for 3 minutes at a time until crispy. Break into pieces or serve whole.