This has been a difficult fall this year. First, it just took too long to get here, my oldest cat, Irma, passed away at almost 20 years old, plus I threw my back out for the first time ever.
I think that part of the solution for me is to get back into a healthy routine. First up for me is to be thankful for the wonderful things that are just waiting to be noticed. Breakfast is a great place to start treating yourself well. These Gluten-free Apple Teff Pancakes with Homemade Date Caramel Syrup are a great way to baby yourself, celebrate fall, and feed yourself a refined-sugar-free treat.
These Gluten-free Apple Teff Pancakes with Homemade Date Caramel Syrup will have you jumping out of bed. They are full of whole grain fiber and fresh chopped apples.
Add a drizzle of vegan caramel sauce and it tastes like you’re having dessert for breakfast. But much, much healthier.
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1½ cups water, more if needed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 2 tablespoons ground flax mixed with ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon mild oil, optional
- 2 tablespoons date caramel syrup or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled and minced fresh apple
- 1 cup Maskal Ivory Teff Flour (or brown teff flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add the dates and water into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Then turn the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Carefully pour into your blender with the vanilla and blend until smooth. Add extra water, ¼ cup at a time, to thin the syrup if it’s too thick.
- Add the nondairy milk, flax mixture, oil (if using), sweetener of choice, vanilla to a mixing bowl and mix well. Then stir in the minced apple.
- Mix the Maskal Ivory Teff Flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a separate medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well. The batter mixture will be thick, but you can thin it by stirring in some extra water a tablespoon at a time as you need it.
- Scoop a heaping ¼ cup of batter and spread in a thick circle and cook until the bottom edges start to look dry. Flip and cook on the other side until it browns. Repeat until all the batter is cooked.
- Serve topped with Date Caramel Syrup or maple syrup if you prefer.