I wake up wanting a coffee, or tea, full of creaminess. I seem to drink coffee more in the summer and tea in the winter. I have no idea why – it’s just what I crave at the moment. I certainly have a few favorite store-bought creamers I like, but I love making my own vegan coffee creamer too.
Just so you know my latest store-bought favorite is Califia Farms. The French Vanilla flavor is awesome in earl gray tea. I have some of the caramel pecan tucked away to try in an iced coffee. However, my current go-to homemade is this coconut oat creamer recipe.
A wonderful benefit of making your own creamer is that you can use any sweetener you want. Today’s recipe comes from OATrageous Oatmeals. Do you have your copy yet? If so, tell me your favorite recipe from OATrageous in the comments.
This creamer is quick and you can make it without going into the cold. This recipe will show you that having oats in the house is just as important as bread in a snowstorm!
There is no need to soak nuts ahead of time which is why this recipe is perfect if you woke up this morning and realized you were out creamer. Just throw some oat and coconut in your blender with some water. 10 minutes later blend and strain, then add your favorite sweetener and flavorings. You can even leave it unsweetened and plain – it’s all up to you!
Serves: 1 cup
- ¼ cup (24 g) rolled oats
- ¼ cup (24 g) finely shredded coconut
- 1 cup (237 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) agave nectar (or sweetener of choice, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon almond extract, to taste
- Break the oats and coconut into tiny pieces with your blender. Add the water and let soak for ten minutes.
- Blend again for about 3 minutes or until smooth, then run the creamer through a fine mesh
- strainer over a small bowl to strain out the oat pieces.
- Put the liquid, sweetener and extracts back in the blender and blend until the sweetener is incorporated and dissolved.