Happy weekend everyone! These little single-serving cakes are perfect for a dinner party or could be a special brunch treat. Full of sweet and tart cherries – the almonds and coconut add great texture too. The cherry Amaretto sauce makes them an even more decadent treat.
These little cakes are very rich and moist from the coconut milk – which acts as the main liquid and the fat in this recipe. Unlike most of my desserts, these are full of fat, but at least baked in a muffin pan they are the perfect portion size!
Make a alcohol-free sauce by using 1/4 cup nondairy milk and 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract to replace the Amaretto in the sauce.
And don’t forget you can freeze leftovers for a treat one night when there’s no time to make something sweet from scratch.
- 1 (14 ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup minced cherries (remove pits if using fresh and thaw overnight if using frozen to make them easier/safer to cut)
- 1 cup agave nectar (or other sweetener to taste)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup unsalted toasted sliced almonds
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt (leave out of almonds are salted)
- 1 cup pitted cherries (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup Amaretto
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Either spray the muffin pans or line with cupcake liners to make clean up easier.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in one bowl and let sit aside while you mix the dry ingredients in a larger bowl.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until combined. Scoop into muffin pans and bake until a knife comes out clean or about 20 minutes.
- Puree the sauce ingredients in a blender and spoon on top of the cake. You can serve them warm or at room temperature.
Pre-order my second book, The Great Vegan Bean Book, or my third book which comes out this fall, Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just You! Don’t forget Amazon’s pre-order price guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you’ll receive the lowest price. Here’s how